Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2022

The Memory Librarian: And Other Stories of Dirty Computer Reflection


When I saw Janelle Monae: Dirty Computer in 2018, I was like, "that girl ‘gon write a book and then turn it into a series!". I felt it.  Four years later I saw, “The Memory Librarian: And Other Stories of Dirty Computer” by Janelle Monae come to fruition. (Look at that intuition workin’!)  On The Daily Show with Trevor Noah in April she hinted at a series. (C’mon, intuition!) 

I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Memory Librarian. I saw myself in most of the stories. I’ve always low-key wondered, “am I a dirty computer?”. Even though The Memory Librarian And Other Stories are set in the FUTURE, I felt everything in the present moment as I was reading. Every thing from the PAST that had accumulated in my life up to the moments I was reading that book were being felt in my space/soul/existence at that PRESENT moment. Even one of the characters and I share a name - “Ola-Ola-ay!” 

I see myself in a lot of the individuals throughout the collection of stories. In particular, “Timebox Altar(ed)” is live with divers aspects of me. Ola, especially, is me. Not to toot my own horn, but I’ve been practicing how to big up myself, so, here we go...She is/I am compassionate and understanding. Her curiosity is my curiosity. Ola’s intrigue is my intrigue. 

                                                                                ~                                                                                    

I used to think that I needed so much - so many material things - to manifest what I needed and wanted in my life. I realize now that I am all I need and that I am valuable as I am. I am vital to the world. Most of all, I am vital to me.  

This is what I consistently remind myself of.  These words have helped me grow tremendously.  My spiritual, mental, and overall health have improved by using these words as I speak to me in my mirror.  I was reminded of these words as I read about Mx. Tangee.  

As soon as the white-robed, coppery scarf-wrapped Tangerine Waters/Mx. Tangee entered the scene, I felt. Me. Of course, at the point of her entrance, I didn’t know anything about her, but I felt me. The talk of altars - which I have been drawing on for 11 years now; sacred land - which I am much more comfortable with than I have been; mojo - which I have experienced the power of; and creation - which I have found pride in, made me feel alive. My word of the year is “action”. That’s what Mx. Tangee made me feel. She spoke of intention. Ola represented the north traveler. That’s what I’ve been working towards - trying to understand the lessons that my north node have to teach me. I just recently began to understand how important intention and action are to each other. They are literally bound together through cosmic matrimony. Carrying intention and action with me over the past few years has shown me an awesome reality. (Those details will come some time later.) 

Intention + action + my altars have shown me how far my mind can lead me into creating and living my own reality. I have envisioned so much. I thoroughly enjoyed “The Memory Librarian” and now keep as a reference and reminder to my own memory and acknowledgment of self. 

You Are Valuable - Terrell Grice featuring Janice Freeman

I’m All I Need - Beautiful Chorus

Take Up Space Sis - Toni Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment